We are excited at the prospect of Lewis Holtby playing in the Premier League here in the Football Transfer Tavern, and Simon Jones of the Mail Online reckons it may be happening sooner than expected.
The Schalke midfielder confirmed he had chosen to join Tottenham at the end of the season on Friday, although the German club may be willing to let him leave this month for a cut price £1.6 million as they attempt to get him off the wage bill.
Schalke managing director Horst Heldt said: “If Tottenham ask for Holtby in the January window, we will talk to them about it.
“Nothing has happened yet, but, from our point of view, we are prepared to speak to them.
“It would have to be done quickly, because we would have to find a replacement for him,” he continued.
The 22-year-old announced last week that it was a ‘childhood dream come true’ to be joining a Premier League club, with Tottenham having fought off competition from North London rivals Arsenal to secure Holtby’s signature.
He took time out of Schalke’s training camp in Doha to address the clubs fans, who were not happy with the young midfielders decision to leave for the Premier League.
Holtby said: “I hope that you can understand me and that we can enjoy the remaining games together.
“Then I will look back on a great experience and time, and I am grateful to have been given this chance here in Schalke.
“I have always identified myself with this club and I will continue to do so until the very last second.
“If it weren’t for my English roots and for the Premier League, then I would have signed a new deal (with Schalke) long ago.”
Indeed, Holtby has an English father and could have played for the Three Lions only to turn this opportunity down and commit his international future to the country of his mother, Germany in 2008. Holtby is also the current captain of the German Under-21 side.