Former Charlton player John Salako has commented on the Addicks’ current season and Lee Bowyer’s influence as manager.
The club have been dropped in a sticky situation after three senior players, including Lyle Taylor, announced they would not be playing for Charlton again this season. Bowyer spoke to talkSPORT about the difficult news and revealed the striker is worried about the ‘risk of injury’.
Championship sides have returned to training ahead of a proposed June 20 resumption. Salako has praised the manager’s performance at the hilt of the club so far this season.
“Lee has done an incredible job, he really has,” the 51-year-old told London News Online. “He is a passionate lad who has done an amazing job with a strict budget.”
Would you like to see Huw Jenkins takeover at Charlton?
The Addicks are currently in the relegation zone after a promising looking season took a steep turn and the club tumbled down the table. When the games resume, Charlton must try to climb their way out of the drop-zone, without influential goalscorer Taylor.
“Lee needs some reinforcements, he needs some quality players coming in, they have got to spend money,” Salako said. “He is in a tough job and it will be disastrous if they go down because League One is a tough place to be.”
As it stands, Bowyer could risk losing ten players in the summer, including Taylor and Chris Solly. It will be a tough ride for the Addicks this season as they try to secure their survival in the Championship.
But there is no doubt that Bowyer has done a fine job to keep the club competitive in trying circumstances. Indeed, they have spent just £203,000 on new players this season (Transfermarkt) which is nothing compared to the majority of other clubs in the second tier, for example Leeds have spent over £27m.
How are you feeling ahead of the return of the league, Charlton fans? Join the conversation in the comments below!
Click here to comment on this articleor
Give us feedback on your Football Transfer Tavern experience