Everton: ‘No truth’ in Tottenham renewing Anthony Gordon interest
Sky Sports reporter Michael Bridge says that there is ‘no truth’ in Tottenham Hotspur renewing their interest in Everton winger Anthony Gordon.
The Lowdown: Tottenham ‘monitoring’
It was reported by The Mail on Sunday (via The Boot Room) that Tottenham are ‘monitoring’ Gordon’s situation at Goodison Park, with Newcastle United planning to test their resolve with regards to keeping him beyond the last few days of the transfer window.
Gordon had missed training three days in a row in order to try and force through a move to St. James’ Park, but he was spotted arriving at Finch Farm this morning, after the news that Sean Dyche is expected to become the new manager at the Merseyside club.
The Latest: ‘No truth’
Taking to Twitter, Bridge says that there is ‘no truth’ that Spurs have renewed their interest in signing Gordon:
“Am told there is no truth in any renewed Tottenham interest in Anthony Gordon.”
The Verdict: Should Everton cash in?
Being a homegrown talent, there will be a lot of Toffees supporters who will not want to see Gordon leave this month, but on the other side, his attitude towards the club could be questioned given that he has missed training in order to try and force through a move away.
Hailed as having the potential to become an ‘unbelievable player‘ by former Premier League ace Paddy Kenny, Gordon has been one of the Blues’ standout performers in terms of average shots, key passes, dribbles and tackles per game in the top flight so far this season, but has lacked an end product, with just three goals scored and no assists (WhoScored).
Being English and just 21 years of age, Everton could demand a large transfer fee for him, and that money could be used to strengthen other areas of the squad.
Nonetheless, it may boil down to whether Dyche would want to keep him in the squad, or cash in to strengthen elsewhere.