Fabrizio Romano is ‘sure’ Everton target Donny van de Beek ‘will leave’ Manchester United in January if his situation doesn’t improve.
Everton director of football Marcel Brands recently confirmed that Van de Beek was ‘on our list’ for the summer transfer window.
They hoped to sign him on loan in the final knockings of the window but ‘at the last minute it was cancelled’.
He said it was ‘hard to say’ at this point whether the Blues would revisit the potential move come January.
When Everton visited Old Trafford on Saturday, Van de Beek was unused substitute for the seventh time this season. In fact, he’s played a meagre six minutes in the Premier League so far (via Transfermarkt).
His only domestic starts of 2020/21 have come in the Champions League and Carabao Cup.
Speaking to The United Stand, Romano said that ‘as of now’, Van de Beek is ‘planning to leave Manchester United in January’.
He could remain in the Premier League, ‘with Everton one of the clubs interested’, but there are also said to be suitors in Italy and Spain.
Barring a turnaround in his fortunes in the next ‘two-three months’, he’ll be departing.
Van de Beek apparently nets £120,000 per week at Old Trafford, and it remains to be seen whether Everton could cover the entirety of the sum or whether a split with United would be necessary in a loan deal.
You can’t help but feel sorry for the Dutchman, who must have been given assurances during the transfer window that he had an important part to play.
As it’s transpired, he’s been given the number of minutes you’d expect for a promising Under-23 player, maybe even less than that.
You’d hope that United don’t stand in his way next time.
In other news, these comments had Everton fans buzzing.
Click here to comment on this articleor
Give us feedback on your Football Transfer Tavern experience