The ongoing saga between Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain regarding the possible transfer of Neymar continues, as we head closer to the European transfer deadline on 2 September.
ESPN FC report that the two clubs met on Tuesday and Barcelona offered to pay PSG €40m (£36.2m) for the Brazilian now, with a further two payments of €65m (£58.8m) to come in 2020 and 2021.
The Ligue 1 champions were unprepared to accept that offer, however, and are demanding that the entire €170m (£154m) needs to be paid in full if the Spaniards want to resign their former winger.
Barcelona simply cannot afford to part with that amount of money having already spent over €200m on Frenkie de Jong, Antoine Griezmann and Junior Firpo, though, which is what is currently halting the progression of a deal being struck between the two European heavyweights.
ESPN FC’s report says that the Catalans are trying to include Ousmane Dembele in a deal for Neymar, though it is understood that the Frenchman wants to remain at the Camp Nou and is not open to a move to Paris. Having averaged 2.3 dribbles per game last season – second behind only Lionel Messi – the World Cup-winner clearly does make an impact on the side as it is.
With both Kylian Mbappe and Edinson Cavani facing up to a month out with injuries, Paris Saint-Germain need to know whether or not they can count on Neymar this season.
The French champions are looking to finally resolve this situation by either selling the 27-year-old for the correct price, or keeping him until next summer and thus including him in their matchday squads for their upcoming Ligue 1 fixtures – something they have so far been reluctant to do considering everything that has surrounded his current transfer situation.
In summary, Neymar’s return to Barcelona does look unlikely. Right now, it seems the Catalans cannot afford to pay for him in one go, and with PSG holding all the cards and demanding a one-off payment of €170m (£154m) instead of three separate instalments, there is little else to be said regarding the whole debacle.
Antoine Griezmann stepped up in the absence of Lionel Messi and Luis Suarez against Real Betis last time out so it’s not as if the La Liga champions are absolutely crying out for extra attacking impetus, having already let Philippe Coutinho go considering the competition for places.
Where will the Brazilian be playing his football next season? Join the discussion by commenting below…Like what the TT have on offer? Sign up for more notifications!