Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has confirmed that defender Ozan Kabak picked up an injury during his side’s 1-0 defeat against Chelsea on Thursday night.
Doubts about Kabak
The 20-year-old started at the heart of the Reds’ defence alongside makeshift centre-back Fabinho as they were inflicted with a fifth-straight defeat at Anfield – something which has never happened in the club’s history.
Praised as a ‘talent’ with ‘quality’ for showing his ‘really good’ form recently by Jurgen Klopp (besoccer.com), Kabak was brought in to nurse the devastating injury crisis, with Virgil van Dijk, Joe Gomez and Joel Matip all out with season-ending injuries.
Unfortunately, it appears that Kabak could join them in the already overcrowded Kirkby treatment room. Speaking in his pre-match press conference (via James Pearce), Klopp said that the 6 foot 1 centre half picked up “a little problem”, but did not specify what kind of injury he had suffered.
Kabak is now a doubt for Fulham, so Liverpool will have to prepare themselves to field their 20th centre-back partnership of the season, with the likes of Ben Davies and Nathaniel Phillips available for the German tactician to choose from.
Transfer Tavern Verdict
While Kabak has not set the world on fire with the appearances he’s put in so far, it will still be a big blow to the reigning Premier League champions.
It appears that the news does not get any better for the Liverpool supporters, who have had to endure what has been a miserable 2020/21 campaign from start to finish.
That being said, the club simply have to finish in the top four. With Jordan Henderson also out, they have even fewer options to choose from to play at the back. Fulham could be another tricky test for the understrength Reds.
Click here to comment on this articleor
Give us feedback on your Football Transfer Tavern experience