The Telegraph’s Northern Football Correspondent James Ducker reported earlier this month that United would target West Ham midfielder Rice this summer, with incoming manager Erik ten Hag set to be given access to a transfer ‘war chest’.
Irons manager David Moyes said recently that the Englishman was worth £150million at a ‘minimum’.
That would be the biggest transfer in Premier League history, smashing the £105.75milllion record set by Jack Grealish’s move to Manchester City.
Rice is under contract until the summer of 2024, but West Ham crucially have the option to extend that deal by a further year. He’s believed to have turn down three offers of an extension, one of which was worth around £200,000 per week (via The Guardian).
Rice in 2023 or Phillips in 2022?
I'll wait for Rice
Bring me Phillips this summer
Live on air on Friday evening, presenter Mike Wedderburn relayed an update on Rice.
While West Ham won’t countenance a sale this summer, their stance could change at the end of next season, he told Sky.
“Our chief reporter Kaveh Solhekol has spoken to West Ham today. West Ham have said this: they will not sell Declan Rice this summer, even if he doesn’t sign a new contract.
“The Hammers would be prepared to sell Rice in the summer of 2023 if he doesn’t sign a new contract.”
This presents Man. United with an interesting dilemma. They can either bide their time for Rice, who will only be 24 years old come the 2023 window. If he’s their no. 1 target, they may be patient.
Or they may decide that they simply have to furnish Ten Hag with a marquee midfield addition this summer, particularly with Paul Pogba set to leave on a free transfer.
They’ve been linked with Rice’s England team-mate, Kalvin Phillips, who is available for a fee of £60million (according to The I’s Mark Douglas). This cheaper, swifter deal could prove to be more desirable.
In other news, Fabrizio Romano drops a key update concerning Ten Hag.
Click here to comment on this articleor
Give us feedback on your Football Transfer Tavern experience