The prospective takeover of Newcastle United will bring world-class players to the Tyneside club, Noel Whelan has suggested to Football Insider.
Can Newcastle attract world-class players after the takeover?
As per the outlet, former Magpies striker Salomon Rondon told TNT Sports that he would admittedly be interested in a return to the Premier League and did not rule out a return to the club that he left 12 months ago for China. The Athletic revealed on Monday that the Magpies can spend big in the upcoming summer transfer window whilst remaining within the Financial Fair Play (FFP) regulations.
Whelan has insisted that the proposed new owners will be targeting world-class players but did not hold Rondon in that regard.
“I would expect them to be looking elsewhere,” he told Football Insider.
“He did well at Newcastle but given his age I think it is highly unlikely. They will be looking bigger and better when this takeover is completed.
“Loads of big names being linked with Newcastle – a club that will have the money, that is for sure.
“They are not going for average players, they want world-class players. That is the difference that this takeover will bring.
“Very, very exciting times. Money will be there and they will not be scared to spend it.
“They want to create something really special like Manchester City. Their intentions are to challenge.”
Indeed, Rondon made 33 appearances in all competitions for the Toon in the 2018/19 season, scoring 12 goals and making a further seven assists, according to Transfermarkt.
However, despite these relatively impressive stats, Whelan has claimed that the would-be owners may be looking elsewhere in the transfer market for somebody potentially better than what Rondon was for them.
Perhaps they may be looking for a top-level striker given that Joelinton has not really performed in this campaign so far, managing just three goals and providing four assists in 34 games in all competitions (via Transfermarkt).
If the new owners are ambitious, then they will surely be looking for more goals and assists in their team in order for them to get to where they want Newcastle to be. However, all of this is merely speculation at this point whilst the Saudi-led consortium wait for their deal with Mike Ashley to be fully approved by the Premier League.
Geordies, do you think the takeover bid will get over the line? What players would you like to see at St James’ Park if it does go through? Comment below with your thoughts!
Click here to comment on this articleor
Give us feedback on your Football Transfer Tavern experience