Newcastle United could choose to wait until the final few weeks of the transfer window to make any more signings, claims Sky Sports reporter Dharmesh Sheth.
The Lowdown: Newcastle’s signings
Following a £305m takeover led by the Saudi Arabia-based Public Investment Fund last October, the Tyneside club have not been afraid to splash the cash this year.
After a successful loan spell during the second half of last season, Matt Targett became Newcastle’s first signing of the summer window, joining in a deal worth £15m.
Burnley shot-stopper Nick Pope was the next player through the door at St James’ Park, after the Magpies agreed a £10m fee with the relegated side for the England international.
The Latest: Sheth shares word from Pete Graves
Sheth has been told that Newcastle may hold off on signing any more players for the moment, giving Eddie Howe the chance to assess the squad and the areas it needs improving.
Speaking with GiveMeSport, the Sky Sports journalist claimed:
“I speak to my colleague Pete Graves, who is a Newcastle United fan and has got quite a few good ins with regard to what Newcastle United’s business is going to look like.
“He wouldn’t be surprised, he told me, if Newcastle start the season with the squad that they’ve got now, see how the first few games go and keep in mind various other signings.”
The Verdict: Smart decision
Having already secured five signings in the January window, the idea to hold off on any further additions will allow the Magpies squad to settle down and gel with one another, since there will be considerable changes to the starting XI when compared with last year’s side.
Newcastle are set to get the 2022/23 campaign underway by welcoming newly-promoted Nottingham Forest to St James’ Park on August 6. These opening few games will allow Howe to identify any holes in his starting side, giving PIF a few weeks to rectify any issues before the transfer deadline.
Is Botman a good signing for Newcastle?
No, he was overpriced
Sheth’s claims illustrate the smart business being conducted by Dan Ashworth at Newcastle, although it does still feel inevitable that a new attacking signing will be required.
Click here to comment on this articleor
Give us feedback on your Football Transfer Tavern experience