For those of you who happened to be listening to Bob Wilson on the radio the other weekend, you like me would have heard him all but name the Liverpool keeper as Arsene’s number one target.
Here’s 5 reasons why this should happen!
1) Firstly, despite their win against Chelsea, everybody can see that Liverpool are in what Americans’ would call ‘a re-building phase’ and are at least two or three years away from being a solid top four side again.
2) The last time Liverpool won the top flight, Reina was 8. He is now 28. They are now in danger of becoming the new age Tottenham, Everton, Newcastle or Nottingham Forest, big clubs who hang to former glories like a World War 2 vet. Reina should ask Shay Given, you don’t want to be stuck at one of those for your whole career.
3) Since the days of Frank Swift, Arsenal have ‘prided’ themselves on having keepers that are prone to having the occasional howler. From Frank Swift’s new FA Cup final shirt to Nayim, from the halfway line, awful mistakes catalogue Arsenal goalkeeping history. Despite Reina being undoubtedly better than all those since Seaman, anyone who saw the goal he conceded off Andy Johnson’s head in a Merseyside derby, knows Reina is perfectly suited to an Arsenal shirt. Maybe he can repeat the trick off Gareth Bale!
4) Roy Hodgson’s transfers have been the likes of Paul Konchesky, the sort of players that fit in perfectly for a mid-table Prem side, like Fulham. Therefore, it stands to reason that Hodgson wants a goalkeeper that fits that bill. Enter: The return of Chris Kirkland!
5) Being the multi-national squad that Arsenal is, Arsenal will need to get the Spaniard in to up his Spanish quota once Fabregas leaves!
Click here to comment on this articleor
Give us feedback on your Football Transfer Tavern experience