With Van der Sar having recently celebrated his 40th birthday, Thomas Kuszczak failing to establish himself as a first-team regular, and young Ben Amos only beginning to find his feet at the club, Ferguson may see Shay Given as the ideal man to take charge between the posts at Old Trafford, and would surely look to snap him up in January to pre-empt an offer from another Premiership manager.
So, why should United sign City’s second-choice stopper?
1. Aside from his obvious talent, Given is an experienced professional and consistent performer.
2. Availability. There is no other goalkeeper of Given’s calibre looking for a move, with his club willing to do business.
3. At 34, Given has six years on Van der Sar, and could take command of United’s defences for a good few years to come, in the meantime allowing youngsters such as Amos the chance to hone their skills.
4. Having played for City and Newcastle, Given is certainly capable of handling the pressure of playing for another big club, and could walk straight into the role.
5. The fact is that Shay Given would be first choice for all but a few Premiership clubs, and until Joe Hart came of age was one City’s most prized assets.
Click here to comment on this articleor
Give us feedback on your Football Transfer Tavern experience