Nicolas Anelka could be set for a sensational departure from Chelsea according to reports from Sky Sports News. Contract talks between the 30-year-old Frenchman and the West London outfit have broken down for the fourth time.
With just 18 months left on ‘Le Sulk’s’ contract at Stamford Bridge the club are keen to see Anelka put pen-to-paper on a long term deal that would see him spend the rest of his career with the Blues.
The former Arsenal, Bolton, Liverpool and Manchester City forward is having an excellent season, with 11 goals to his name so far. Carlo Ancelotti has been getting the best out of him and his partnership with Didier Drogba has kept Chelsea In the hunt for their first title in four years.
Earlier this month Anelka demonstrated his happiness at Chelsea due to the freedom his Italian manager has given him.
He said on January 5: “I wanted to play this position when I first came to Chelsea, with Didier in front and me just behind, and I always said that. This season the manager gave me the opportunity to do it, to be free on the pitch and I feel good.”
But now reports are now suggesting that discussions between the player’s representatives and the club have stalled and both parties are some way apart, with just a ’10 per cent chance’ of a positive outcome. If this remains the case until the summer then Chelsea would have a big decision to make. They would either sell there and then for a decent fee or let the French hit-man run down his contract and leave for free in 2011.
Click here to comment on this articleor
Give us feedback on your Football Transfer Tavern experience