Many Aston Villa fans have been taking part in a debate on social media over the future of manager Dean Smith.
With football at a standstill due to the recent pandemic, Villa’s top flight status remains in the balance and manager Smith will be eager to see what the outcome of the Premier League season delivers for his side.
A lifetime fan of the club, Smith played an important part in helping the Claret and Blue gain promotion via the play-off final last season, and his side almost found League Cup glory this term, narrowly losing to Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City at Wembley in February.
Results have been largely inconsistent this term, whilst Smith has been handed countless injury problems to further halt any potential run of consistency, including losing both Tom Heaton and Wesley long-term.
Looking ahead to the return of football and next season, fans have now taken part in a vote on whether or not to keep Smith in charge of the club.
The poll, which was ran by Twitter account @VillaViews_, saw 73.7% of 5,136 fans vote in favour of the 49-year-old remaining in charge, whilst 26.3% voted for a new manager to come in.
Loads of Villa fans reacted to the results of the poll, with some suggesting that they should get rid of Jesus Garcia Pitarch, also known as Suso, instead of Smith…
If relegation is cancelled, would Dean Smith be your manager for next season? #avfc
— Villa Views (@VillaViews_) May 4, 2020
I don’t get the blind faith some people appear to have in Smith? It seems that being a fan means you get away with a lot…
— Thomas (@TommyGunns1981) May 4, 2020
Really dont know, think he has a lot to prove, was very mediocre last season at times until Grealish returned and dragged us up
— Tom (@Tom37807875) May 4, 2020
Yes, but Suso wouldn’t be at the club. We need a DoF who knows the prem.
— Matt AVFC (@everysongsung) May 4, 2020
Yes give him full access to all transfer funds too
— Garin (@GarinWilliams) May 4, 2020
Get rid of Suso
— Tom Russ (@Russki2013) May 4, 2020
Listen, I like the bloke but unfortunately he’s not tactically good enough…. Time and time again we’ve witnessed it… Playing jack of the left is pure criminal….
— Cannock villan (@cannock_villa) May 4, 2020
Deano needs a defensive assistant next to him and needs to realize how to adjust to defensive tactics instead always getting caught upfront #UTV
— VenB (@vburani) May 4, 2020
Villa fans, do you think Dean Smith should remain in charge?
Click here to comment on this articleor
Give us feedback on your Football Transfer Tavern experience