One thing I have noticed from Chelsea fans lately is the excitement around moves for Neymar and Ganso, and understandably so both are looking like very exciting prospects. Well its a mixture of good and bad news today for the Stamford Bridge faithful.
The players have both made their intentions clear after commenting in the press recently and it seems like one is far more likely than the other at this point, but really, it would have been selfish if they had signed both!
Neymar managed to notch up his second and third international goals on Sunday against Scotland in only his 3rd international appearance, and the media were ready to spew superlatives and shower the 19 year old with them. Success has come quickly to the youngster who only broke into the Santos first team 2 years ago.
He has been linked with Chelsea and Manchester City previously and he was in fact nearing a move to Carlo Ancelotti’s side last Summer before a last minute change of heart, well he is now a lot more positive about it, he has said:
“Here in London I could easily walk the streets in peace. I want to play in Europe and want to join a team at the very top level….It is a dream which will definitely come true but I don’t yet know when it will happen….That is down to Santos to decide.”.
Now although he doesn’t explicitly name Chelsea as his desired destination, I think we can all read between the lines. It seems that the player has made up his mind so now a deal just needs to be done with his club.
Other reports today suggest that Chelsea are continuing to baulk at the £40million asking price Santos have put on the player and are still sticking to their guns and offering £30million, whether these quotes will pressure one of the parties to change their price remains to be seen, but it is now more likely than ever that we will see Neymar in a Chelsea shirt next term.
Now for the less positive news for the Stamford Bridge faithful, other long term Brazilian target Ganso, has today quashed stories that he will be moving to Europe this summer, the attacking midfielder, who is also linked to Inter Milan and Tottenham, said at a press conference:
“To clear up matters, every player wants to play at a big European club….But I have a contract [with Santos] until 2015 and at no time did I say I was leaving. The fans know who I am.”.
Not a 100% definitive rejection of the move, but it now does look increasingly unlikely to take place this Summer. Ganso, who has also caught the attention of Manchester United and Manchester City, now seems to be staying put but I am pretty confident a deal will be done taking him somewhere before his contract expires in 2015.
All in all good news for Roman Abramovich and Carlo Ancelotti, they look like they are in a good position to get one of their major targets this Summer, and maybe they will have to wait a bit longer for the second, but its hardly the end of the world!
For more of the latest transfer rumours, follow me on twitter @soccercityjoe!
Click here to comment on this articleor
Give us feedback on your Football Transfer Tavern experience