In this instalment of our TT Roundup, Football Transfer Tavern have gathered three of the biggest stories to have involved Chelsea recently and have provided our thoughts on the reports published.
Chelsea linked with Havertz summer swoop
According to SportBild (via Sport Witness), Chelsea are included among a number of clubs interested in making a summer move for Bayer Leverkusen’s Kai Havertz.
The 20-year-old’s asking price has been set at an eye-watering €130m (£111.2m), though Frank Lampard is thought to be keen on adding young stars to his squad when finally given the opportunity to buy players.
Liverpool, Bayern Munich and Barcelona are also said to be keeping tabs on the German youngster.
It is easy to see why a talent such as Havertz’s is widely sought after across Europe, with the midfielder netting 17 times in 34 Bundesliga matches last season – proving he can cut it at the top level.
His asking price may seem a little steep, though previous reports had suggested Chelsea have around £150m to spend having been restricted from buying players last summer.
And with the youngster certainly fitting the bill on the age front, Lampard may well have identified a prime target to pursue in the near future.
Lampard backs Barkley despite ‘lack of professionalism’
Frank Lampard has continued to back midfielder Ross Barkley despite suggesting the 25-year-old showed a lack of professionalism after being pictured topless in a nightclub.
Barkley was left out of Chelsea’s squad for their Champions League tie against Valencia, though the former Everton man is also carrying an injury.
Lampard has urged his player to bounce back on the pitch following his off-field antics.
Lampard’s advice to Barkley suggests he will give the midfielder a route back into his plans once he recovers from his ankle problem, which has kept him out since mid-October.
Being reminded of his responsibilities shows good management from the Blues boss, with getting Barkley back to his best on the pitch clearly the main priority for Lampard.
Zola tips Hazard for Ballon d’Or
Former Chelsea striker Gianfranco Zola has tipped former Blues winger Eden Hazard to win the Ballon d’Or.
Zola told Italy’s Il Mattino that his final season at Stamford Bridge warrants world recognition despite the likes of Lionel Messi and Virgil van Dijk among the main contenders.
He said (via Sport Witness): “Hazard made an extraordinary season with us at Chelsea last year. He deserves it.” The winner is due to be announced on Monday.
For Zola to tip Hazard for the award seems slightly biased, given the Italian worked with the winger last season as part of Maurizio Sarri’s management team.
And even with Hazard’s 21-goal haul in his final season, it is debatable that his exploits matched those of Van Dijk and Messi – despite helping the club secure Champions League football and the Europa League title.
Do Chelsea need to replace Kepa?
Chelsea fans, would Hazard deserve the Ballon d’Or? And would you be happy to spend so much on Havertz? Let us know below!
Click here to comment on this articleor
Give us feedback on your Football Transfer Tavern experience