Jonjoe Kenny has been reluctant to commit his long-term future to Everton following a strong start to life at loan side FC Schalke 04, as told the Bundesliga’s official website.
England Under 21 defender Kenny scored his first goal for Schalke last time out in the German top-flight, as Wagner’s men put three past Hertha Berlin to achieve their first win of the league campaign following a draw and a defeat.
A sweetly timed hit by the 22-year-old from the edge of the box rounded out the scoring against Hertha, and was Kenny’s first goal in any competition since September 2015, when he scored for Everton’s Under 23s against Norwich City in a Premier League 2 encounter at the Merseyrail Community Stadium.
Kenny is, in fact, Schalke’s only goalscorer of the Bundesliga season so far, after Hertha’s Niklas Stark and Karim Rekik both scored own goals to put the hosts in control of the final game before the international break.
Wagner’s side went into the break ninth in the Bundesliga, with Kenny boasting the eighth-most successful tackles, tenth-most clearances and second-most passes blocked per ninety minutes of any right-back in the division, according to data collected by WhoScored.
The Everton-owned right-back will be hoping to continue his strong start to life in Germany against Paderborn on Sunday, September 15, but Kenny has been coy over the potential of securing a permanent transfer to Schalke from his boyhood side.
“It’s still too early for that decision,” the Toffees product told the Bundesliga’s official website. “I don’t want to live in the future. Whatever happens, happens. Now I’m definitely giving everything for Schalke.
“Schalke is still a huge club. The club has played regularly in Europe, and has a large following. People know Schalke from the Champions League, it’s a world club. Now we’re concentrating on the league and want to take the next steps.”
Schalke do not have an option-to-buy Kenny included in the one-season deal that took the 22-year-old to the Veltins Arena (Get German Football News), but a strong season in the Bundesliga may see that Die Konigsblauen seek to open negotiations with Everton next summer.
Depending on the form of AS Monaco’s Djibril Sidibe while on loan at Goodison Park, Everton may not be opposed to selling Kenny, either, as the Blues product was often omitted from Marco Silva’s Premier League matchday squads when the right-back was not covering for injuries to Seamus Coleman (TransferMarkt) last season.
If they do oppose a permanent deal, and activate their €14million (£12.4m) option-to-buy Sidibe (L’Equipe), then Everton and Kenny may risk falling into the same trap that befell Ademola Lookman after the Blues rejected several offers from RB Leipzig to turn his temporary transfer into a permanent arrangement in 2018 (Sky Sports).
Lookman then spent Silva’s maiden season on Merseyside resigned to a reserve capacity – playing just 830 minutes across all competitions (TransferMarkt) – before completing a permanent move to Leipzig this summer for £22.5m (BBC).
Everton fans, would you be frustrated if your club were to sell Kenny? Let us know in the comments below…Like what the TT have on offer? Sign up for more Everton notifications!
Click here to comment on this articleor
Give us feedback on your Football Transfer Tavern experience