In this instalment of our Transfer Roundup, Football Transfer Tavern have gathered three of the biggest stories to have involved Everton recently and have provided our thoughts on the reports published.
Everton could be set to dip their toe back into the transfer market in the January window, according to manager Marco Silva, and may also see the back of a 2018 signing once the transfer window re-opens.
Cenk Tosun patient on deciding future
According to Milliyet, Cenk Tosun rejected the chance to leave Everton and move to Qatar this month, as he is keen to fight for his place under Silva until at least the winter market.
His departure from Goodison Park would be a permanent one, but he is patient on securing a move away as he feels he still has something to offer the Blues, and saw his stance rewarded at the weekend with a first Premier League appearance of the campaign against Sheffield United (TransferMarkt).
Tosun, who joined Everton for £27million (BBC) in January 2018, had been liked with Al Gharafa (Sky Sports), and Milliyet claim the Turkey international striker rejected the Qatari side’s offer as his wife was reluctant to move to the peninsular Arab country.
Tosun will have been buoyed by Silva recalling him to the matchday squad against Sheffield United on Saturday and handing him his first minutes of the league season, but the 28-year-old will need to be far more influential when on the field to warrant being selected more often – particularly if he wants to remain at the Merseyside outfit for the long-term.
In 35 minutes on the pitch, Tosun saw his only shot of the game blocked, failed to find a teammate with either of his three attempted passes, and won just one of seven aerial duels, according to data collected by WhoScored.
Only those who did not register a successful aerial duel won less than Tosun, who was the only Everton player not to find a teammate with at least one pass.
Marco Silva to consider centre-back swoop
Silva has confirmed that Everton will consider a potential swoop to sign a centre-back in January, after starting the campaign with three senior defenders on offer, as quoted by the Liverpool Echo.
The Toffees failed to land a centre-back in the summer after Kurt Zouma remained at Chelsea, where David Luiz’s departure for Arsenal meant Fikayo Tomori was not allowed to leave for Goodison Park on loan despite the two clubs reaching an agreement (Football Insider).
Everton also allowed Phil Jagielka and Ashley Williams to leave at the end of their contracts, and Silva has revealed that the now-Sheffield United man was allowed to leave as the Blues were confident they would sign someone.
“It is my job, and the job of Marcel [Brands, Everton’s Director of Football] also and now he is doing his job, analysing everything,” Silva said.
“We will see [about new centre-back targets], and what we can do to strengthen our squad will do in January, if you can, or next season again.”
Silva went on to add that Everton allowed Jagielka to leave as it would not have been fair to keep him around just because they were uncertain whether or not he could be replaced, which was the right thing to do at the start of the summer.
It may now look like a mistake not keeping the veteran around as third or fourth choice, but the Toffees’ call was the right one as they had plenty of time to secure a replacement, just seemingly spent to long holding out hope of landing top-target Zouma.
Chances were there to negotiate with other potential signings too, with Marcos Rojo another target to have slipped through Brands and Silva’s fingers this summer, which seems to have summed up the Blues’ business in the market.
Kevin Mirallas speaks on summer exit
Former Everton winger Kevin Mirallas has revealed that Royal Antwerp Sporting Director Luciano D’Onofrio spoke to him daily during the summer window, as the Jupiler Pro League side waited for the Blues to lower their valuation of the Belgian.
Mirallas had been told that he had no future at Goodison Park, but Everton priced multiple potential suitors out of signing the 31-year-old upon his return to England from a loan spell with Serie A side Fiorentina.
Everton eventually allowed Mirallas to leave for his homeland on a free transfer shortly before the European transfer windows closed, and the 60-cap former Red Devils international has now spoken with Belgian broadcaster RTBF, via quotes by the Liverpool Echo, on his move.
“Antwerp have been following me since May,” Mirallas said. “I also spoke to Club Brugge and Anderlecht, but Everton asked for a lot of money to buy off the final year of my contract.
“True to his nature, Luciano D’Onofrio waited until the last day for the price to fall. But before that, he called me every day and showed that he really wanted me to come. Eventually, he was able to get me on a free transfer.”
While Mirallas’ words look favourably on D’Onofrio not being held to ransom over a player who had been deemed surplus to requirements a year before his contract expired, it also shows that Everton did the right thing.
The Blues would have been naïve to have allowed the former international forward to leave for free immediately upon his return from Fiorentina knowing there was interest in his services, and held out on the hope that someone would offer a suitable figure.
When no side proved willing to meet their valuation, Everton then agreed to terminate his contract a year early and save themselves a large sum in wages, rather than wasting more funds paying a player who would not feature before leaving for the same transfer fee as he ultimately did.
Everton fans, given Silva is considering centre-back targets, who would you like to see your side purchase in January? Let us know in the comments below…
Click here to comment on this articleor
Give us feedback on your Football Transfer Tavern experience