A disappointing performance from Everton saw Leeds dump them out the Capitol One Cup with a 2-1 victory at Elland Road. It was a lack-lustre display from David Moyes’ side but Leeds deserve credit for a fine performance. Neil Warnock got the tactics spot as El-Hadji Diouf caused the Blues defence all kinds of problems.
But for Moyes the most disappointing aspect of the performance was the manner in which a hardworking Leeds side outfought their Premier League opposition.
On a night Everton fans will want to forget, we take a look at how their players performed.
Jan Mucha- 5
- Was offered little protection by a poor defence. However, did nothing to convince he should be anything other than a back up to Tim Howard
Seamus Coleman- 4
- Struggled to contain the threat of El Hadji Diouf which prevented him from getting forward as much as he would have liked. Proved he still has much to learn about the defensive side of the game.
Johnny Heitinga- 3
- Did nothing to prove why he should be in the side. A very disappointing performance from the Dutchman in a game he should have dominated.
Sylvain Distin- 5
- Nearly sparked a comeback but will be judged on his defensive display. Was not the worst but you would still expect better from the Frenchman.
Bryan Oveido- 5
- Was a chance for the new signing to show what he could do but did little to impress. Everton fans will hope there is more to come from him.
Magye Gueye- 4
- Was very poor in the first half and failed to cause the Leeds defence any problems. Against Championship opposition it was a chance for his to shine and this performance perhaps confirmed he is not cut out for the top level.
Marouane Fellaini- 5
- Having been so influential in the Premier League the Toffees talisman failed to have the same effect in a more defensive position in the first half. Improved as he pushed further forward in the second half.
Francisco Junior- 3
- A tough debut for the young midfielder. Struggled to adapt to the pace and physicality and was outplayed by Michael Brown.
Steven Naismith- 3
- A shocking performance from the former Rangers man. Ineffectual throughout and missed an absolute sitter in the first half.
Kevin Mirallas- 5
- Had very little service and struggled stamp his mark on the game. But, for a player of his calibre Everton would have hoped he could have inspired the side a little more with his penchant for the spectacular.
Victor Anichebe- 6
- Like his strike partner had to rely on scraps due to the lack of service. Despite that his work rate could not be faulted on a frustrating evening.