Everton continued their good start to the new Premier League season with a dominant display in the 3-0 victory over Swansea at the Liberty Stadium on Saturday.
David Moyes’ side were good value for the win with goals from Victor Anichebe, Marouane Fellaini and recent signing Kevin Mirallas, his first league goal in the blue shirt.
The Nigerian forward opened the scoring after 21 minutes, though there was an element of controversy in the build up to the goal. Anichbe crashed in a volley from six yards but looked to have profited from a handball by Fellaini in the build up. Mirallas doubled the lead two minutes before half time. A flowing move saw Steven Pienaar pick the Belgian out who’s strike was pushed onto the bar by Michel Vorm, but Mirallas reacted quickest to nod home rebound. Man of the Match Fellaini grabbed a deserved goal eight minutes from time. Picked out by Leighton Baines the midfielder’s header deflected off the defender to make it 3-0.
The victory leaves Everton third in the Premier League, three points behind leaders Chelsea. Notoriously slow starters, Moyes will hope his team can build on this years promosing start.
Tim Howard- 8
- The American’s best performance of the season. Made a good save to deny Rangel and despite Everton’s dominance was alert to keep out any Swansea chances. Deserved his clean sheet.
Seamus Coleman- 6
- A solid game from the full back who linked up well with the midfield. Will need to get better/more reliable defensively if he is to make the right back spot his own.
Johnny Heitinga- 7
- A competent performance from Dutchman. Had no problems dealing with the Swansea attack and looked tidy in possession.
Phil Jagielka- 8
- Everton’s best defender. Lead by example and his performance was typified by a superb block on the line to deny De Guzman. Ensured that Danny Graham’s threat was kept to a minimum.
Leighton Baines- 7
- A typically good performance from the left back, but what else do Everton fans expect from him? Another pin point cross to pick out Fellaini for the third goal.
Kevin Mirallas- 7
- Looks as if he will be a good signing for the club. Reacted well to claim his goal, having already showed good movement and great technique with the first effort. Was unlucky not to double his tally as another powerful effort hit the bar.
Phil Neville- 6
- Much improved after his performance against Newcastle. Kept it simple, used the ball well and started the move which lead to the second goal.
Leon Osman- 7
- Was perhaps not the creative spark he can be but it was a decent performance from the midfielder. Hardworking as ever, particularly when his side did not have the ball.
Steven Pienaar- 7
- A constant threat to the Swansea defence and provided great delivery to set up Mirallas for the second goal.
Marouane Fellaini- 8.5
- Continued his impressive start to the season with another commanding performance. Everton’s most influential player and would have scored two if not for some wasteful finishing.
Victor Anichebe- 7.5
- Finally starting to show the sort of form that must convince Moyes he has a future at the club. Worked hard and took his goal well. Was more of a threat than usual but does need to work on his finishing.