The player has been in fine form of late, and has made no secret of his desire to leave the DW Stadium and secure a move to a big club. Wigan may also be keen to offload the player, with Roberto Martinez admitting he would like to bring in some new names for the second half of the season.
However, N’Zogbia’s disruptive reputation precedes him, and Hodgson will have to weigh up the pros and cons carefully before deciding whether or not to splash the owners’ cash.
So, what are the reasons against signing Charles N’Zogbia?
1. The player is volatile and disruptive. He pushed through a move away from Newcastle, and has been attempting to do the same at Wigan for a while now. More than ever at the moment, Liverpool need to build a team, not a collection of talented individuals.
2. N’Zogbia has no experience of playing at the top level, and may find it hard to cope with the pressure at first, and the demands placed on him at a club like Liverpool.
3. Following on from that, the fans and owners at Anfield will expect an instant return on any investment, as Liverpool will not have time to wait for N’Zogbia to find his feet and settle in. Hodgson needs an impact player who will deliver from his very first game onwards.
However, the pros match the cons. Why should Liverpool buy N’Zogbia?
1. N’Zogbia is a vastly talented player capable of humiliating even the most experienced defenders. He would provide an additional, constant goal threat, easing the pressure on Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard.
2. The Liverpool team lacks pace, and none of Hodgson’s signings have addressed this issue. With Ryan Babel likely to leave in January, N’Zogbia’s pace will prove invaluable.
3. Availability. Hodgson would struggle to find a player of N’Zogbia’s quality for £9m, especially a player desperate for a move, with a club very willing to sell. The club’s owners have already stressed the need for wise investments in the transfer market, and a move for N’Zogbia at this price would be a bit of a bargain!
I personally believe N’Zogbia would be a huge hit at Anfield, and Hodgson’s best buy of the season. Your thoughts below…
Click here to comment on this articleor
Give us feedback on your Football Transfer Tavern experience