Liverpool are the latest Premier League club to announce they will be placing some non-playing staff on a furloughed wage, but will be taking 80% from government funds (via BBC Sport).
Due to the effects of recent events, the government have set up a furlough scheme for workers who have been temporarily suspended due to the UK being on lockdown.
Top-flight clubs Newcastle, Tottenham, Bournemouth and Norwich have all placed some of their non-playing employees on furlough, with Liverpool becoming the latest of the Premier Leagues sides to follow suit. However, the Merseyside outfit will be using the 80% wage offered by the government’s scheme in order to pay their staff and have vowed to use the club’s own money to top up the remaining 20%.
A lot of fans and professionals are disappointed in the club’s approach, with even James Pearce saying what Liverpool are doing is ‘wrong’. One supporter has said the news is ‘absolutely shameful’.
— Chris (@6_timesred) April 4, 2020
It’s certainly not a positive. It’s wrong
— James Pearce (@JamesPearceLFC) April 4, 2020
That’s very disappointing.
— 🇸🇳 🇧🇷 🇪🇬 (@Nuri96J) April 4, 2020
Legally Liverpool doing everything right.
Morally. Liverpool are very very wrong.
— 🔴Joey the red 🔴 (@joeytheredLFC) April 4, 2020
Absolute rank this is from our club who get paid hundreds of million just to play on tv. I’m embarrassed.
— Sean Coleby (@seancoleby) April 4, 2020
Why are you trying to put a positive spin on this it’s absolutely shameful ..
— Mark Vicary (@vikkers14) April 4, 2020
What do you make of Liverpool’s decision? Join the discussion by commenting below…
Click here to comment on this articleor
Give us feedback on your Football Transfer Tavern experience