FIFA have released their 10 nominees for the 2011 FIFA Puskas Award, with Wayne Rooney’s spectacular overhead kick in the Manchester derby highlighted as a leading contender.
Manchester United’s star man struck the acrobatic winning goal in a 2-1 win over rivals Manchester City at Old Trafford in February, with Rooney telling BBC Sport it was his best ever, “As soon as I hit it, I knew it was in and it’s definitely the best goal I’ve scored.”
Rooney faces fierce competition for the award though. Other leading contenders include Zlatan Ibrahimovich’s superb long-range effort against Lecce, an audacious curling chip from Tottenham’s Giovani Dos Santos for Mexico, Dejan Stankovic’s volley from the halfway line for Inter, and a phenomenal goal from Brazilian wonderkid Neymar.
Barcelona’s Leo Messi is also among the nominees for his inventive goal against Arsenal in the Champions League but is not expected to win the award. The remaining nominees are made up of two more overhead kicks, and two long range strikes, including one from United States’ Heather O’Reilly against Colombia in the Women’s World Cup.
A full list of the contenders are below.
- Zlatan Ibrahimovich (AC Milan vs Lecce)
- Dejan Stankovic (Inter vs Schalke)
- Julio Gomez (Mexico U17 vs Germany U17)
- Lionel Messi (Barcelona vs Arsenal)
- Benjamin de Ceular (Lokeren vs Club Brugge)
- Lisandro Lopez (Arsenal Torneo Apertura vs Olimpo)
- Neymar (Santos vs Flamengo)
- Giovani Dos Santos (Mexico vs USA)
- Wayne Rooney (Manchester United vs Manchester City)
- Heather O’Reilly (USA vs Colombia)
Users of Fifa.com and France Football Magazine can vote for the Ferenc Puskas Award until December 5th 2011.
For more rumour, views and opinion follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/#!/grez10Like what the TT have on offer? Sign up for more notifications!