Manchester United manager José Mourinho looks set to do what he couldn’t do in the summer transfer window and sign a defender in the upcoming January window and it is believed the former Chelsea boss has made Juventus centre-back Medhi Benatia a target.
According to Tuttosport, via Calcio Mercato, the Red Devils are set to go head to head with Spanish giants Barcelona who are also keen on strengthening their defensive options. The Italian publication reported earlier on Monday morning that the 31-year-old told La Stampa that a lack of game-time since the start of the season has let to a loss of consistency in his play causing him to be a bit unhappy under the Massimiliano Allegri regime (Calcio Mercato).
The former AS Roma and Bayern Munich man has only made four starts for the Old Lady this season, being sat on the bench most of time with Leonardo Bonucci getting the regular nod since he returned from AC Milan in the summer.
“This is my job and I always need to work hard to be ready to play but it’s a situation I don’t like,” said Benatia who has more than 50 caps for the Moroccan international team, despite playing for the French u-18’s in the past.
The defender’s situation could therefore be the ideal opportunity for the Manchester club to capitalise and bring some much needed experience and stability their current back four. Eric Bailly’s future has been under the spotlight in recent months and Chris Smalling is proving too inconsistent for Mourinho’s men who had a tough start to the season but have strung together a couple of good results in recent matches to turn their campaign around.
The addition of Benatia in January will increase United’s chances of finishing the season in a strong position and sort out a lot of defensive problems that have cost Mourinho a lot of points already since August.
Click here to comment on this articleor
Give us feedback on your Football Transfer Tavern experience