Wigan Athletic chairman announced yesterday that striker Marlon King has been sacked from the club after being found guilty of sexual assault and actual bodily harm in a London nightclub. The disgraced King has lost an estimated £2.7m due to his dismissal and as he starts his sentence, he has said that he will launch an appeal against the courts findings and against Wigan over his sacking.
King however joins a worryingly long list of footballers who have spent time behind bars for a variety of offences;
1. Rene Higuita : The Colombian keeper served several months in a Colombian jail for his part in a kidnapping and extortion racket. He will be pushed hard for a place in the team by former Plymouth Argyle keeper Luke McCormack whose dangerous driving while under the influence of alcohol killed two young boys. He received seven years in October 2008.
2. Jamie Lawrence : Was sentenced to four years for robbery and violence and in prison caught the eye, coming out and straightening himself out before going on to a professional career which included spells at Sunderland, Leicester and Bradford as well as caps for Jamaica.
3. Stig Tofting : The Bolton player received four months after assaulting a Copenhagen restaurant owner in 2002.
4. Tony Adams : The former Arsenal and England captain was sentenced to nine months in 1990 for drink driving as he battled alcoholism.
5. Terry Fenwick : Another ex England man was jailed in 1991 for four months for drink driving.
6. Nizar Trabelsi : An ex Tunisia and Fortuna Dusseldorf player who was sentenced to 10 years in 2003 for links to Al Qaeda.
7. Peter Storey : Former double winner with Arsenal, was given three years in 1980 for involvement in a plot to sell forged coins, as well as receiving a 28 day sentence 10 years later for illegally importing pornography.
8. Jan Molby : The former Liverpool midfielder was sentenced to three months jail during the 1988-1989 for reckless driving.
9. Duncan Ferguson : The former Everton striker received a 44 day custodial sentence whilst a Rangers player for headbutting an opponent during a game.
11. Mickey Thomas : The former Everton and Manchester United star received an 18 month custodial sentence in 1993 for passing on forged currency.
On the bench with chains around their ankles…
12. Lee Hughes : The former West Brom man was sentenced to six years in 2005 for causing death by dangerous driving.
13. Ricky Otto : The ex-Birmingham winger served a four year term as a teenager for his part in an armed robbery.
14. Peter Swan : Jailed in 1965 for his part in a match rigging plot while he was at Sheffield Wednesday
15. Ian Wright : Served five days inside as a teenager for non-payment of fines for motoring offences
And to the list of shame, you can add Marlon King.
I would have added Joey Barton to this list of course, but unfortunately he was suspended.Like what the TT have on offer? Sign up for more notifications!