Championship leaders Newcastle United have submitted two concrete bids for Manchester United’s Danny Simpson and Nottingham Forest’s James Perch according to Skysports.com and have had mixed success. A permanent deal for United’s previously on loan Simpson is said to be imminent, but Forest manager Billy Davies has described Newcastle’s bid for defender James Perch as ‘derisory’ and a move to their Championship rivals now looks unlikely.
Danny Simpson has impressed at St James’ Park this season, as the right back has looked at home in the Championship and has strongly contributed to the Toon’s impressive defensive record. The 23 year old returned to Old Trafford yesterday following his loan spell, but it looks as though he will soon be returning to Newcastle and is expected to undergo a medical today before signing a two and a half year deal. Manager Chris Hughton has continually expressed his desire to sign Simpson, who was terrorised by WBA’s Jerome Thomas on Monday night, and it looks as though he has finally got his man.
However, Newcastle’s move for Nottingham Forest’s Perch has been quickly rejected by their Championship rivals. The 24 year old has only recently returned from injury and Billy Davies is said to be unhappy with the way that Newcastle have conducted their business. Davies told the club’s official website that:
“Newcastle’s offer for someone we value so highly as a player and an individual was derisory and I’m disappointed it made it into the public domain. That’s not our way of doing business.”
So Hughton may be forced to delve into the January transfer window once more as he looks to ensure that Newcastle don’t fail in their bid to return to the Premier League at the first attempt.