Many Newcastle United fans have been reacting to a takeover view coming from former Sunderland legend Kevin Phillips after he told Football Insider that there is ‘jealousy’ among Premier League clubs towards the Magpies.
According to The Sun, as many as 10 clubs in the top flight are attempting to block the PCP Partners’ £300m takeover at St. James’ Park. However, Phillips is confident that those clubs will have no effect on the Premier League’s final decision on the long-awaited deal. Concerns have reportedly been raised to the England’s highest division for commercial reasons concerning television piracy and the Saudi Arabian government.
The prospective takeover would see the country’s Public Investment Fund (PIF) hold an 80% stake of the Tyneside club; this is where rival clubs’ concerns lie. The other 20% would be split between Amanda Staveley’s PCP Partners and brothers David and Simon Reuben.
However, The Sun understands that the prospective new owners are still confident of completing a deal.
Is Phillips right?
These members of the Toon faithful on Twitter reacted to Phillips’ views:
Phillips loves the toon
— Mr Michael (@MichaelMidd90) May 14, 2020
— Jack (@jchaytor16) May 14, 2020
Bang on super kev only time I will agree with a makem
— kick racism out (@Djmyaz) May 14, 2020
Voice of sanity.
— Jerry Sisk (@SiskJerry) May 14, 2020
Fair play to him here, would be much easier for him to get on the bitter brigade
— Tom Hadwin (@TomHadwin2) May 14, 2020
I’ve always liked him tbh.
— Nufctony (@ACunningham07) May 14, 2020
Love it when players from rival teams aren’t tribal. He’s a god at Sunderland. Fair play Kevin 👏🏻👍🏻
— Jimmy.woods (@Jimmywoods99) May 14, 2020
This will go down well
— Michael (@Sheffieldmagpie) May 14, 2020
Geordies, what do you make of Phillips’ views on the takeover? Comment below with your thoughts!
Click here to comment on this articleor
Give us feedback on your Football Transfer Tavern experience