Javier Hernandez has signed a new five-year deal with Manchester United, despite rumours that Real Madrid could make a shock £30m move in either January or the summer.
It had been reported in The Sun that Jose Mourinho could offer the Mexican striker six times his current weekly wage of £25,000.
But Ferguson looks to have beaten ‘The Special One’ to it and now Hernandez is in the same bracket as the likes of Wayne Rooney and Nani as the highest earners at United.
The increased package is seen as a reward for his impressive performances last season, with 20 goals in all competitions, after signing for £6m from Chivas in 2010.
If Manchester United had accepted Real’s rumoured offer it would have given them a profit of £24m, but now it looks as if ‘Little Pea’s’ future is firmly at Old Trafford.
Although in reality a switch to Madrid may never have been a legitimate option as Hernandez’s agent, Eduardo Hernandez, said: “It was never likely that Javier would leave. Talks began some time ago and United came up with a very good offer and I have nothing but praise for the way they have recognised Javier’s performances.”
With the announcement on Monday that Tom Cleverley had signed for another four years, Hernandez joins a long list of players United have offered new contracts to in the past year, these include; Rooney, Rafael, Ryan Giggs, Anderson, Antonio Valencia, Chris Smalling, Park Ji-Sung, Micheal Owen, Evra, Carrick and Fletcher with Danny Welbeck offered new terms two years before his current deal is due to expire, he is yet to sign though.
Dimitar Berbatov’s future remains unclear, with his contract due to expire at the end of the season and having become increasingly marginalised, Man United have a ‘one-way’ option to extend it by a year. Something chief executive, David Gill, has said they will do.
Click here to comment on this articleor
Give us feedback on your Football Transfer Tavern experience