There have been a number of stand out signings in the premier league in this summer’s transfer window and the talent in the league has increased significantly. Here are my top ten signings of the summer!
10. Yohan Cabaye (Lille to Newcastle £5m) – Cabaye was an integral part of the Lille team that lifted the league and cup double in France last season and could be one of the real bargains of the season. Cabaye is a gifted central midfielder who is excellent on the ball and has a wonderful range of passing, he could potentially forge one of the best midfield partnerships in the league this season alongside last season’s revelation Cheik Tiote. His early season form for the Toon proves he can become a fans’ favourite on tyneside.
9. Gervinho (Lille to Arsenal £11m) – Another member of the fantastic Lille team last season, Gervinho had an amazing season with the French side, scoring 18 goals. The Ivorian is the perfect player for Arsenal’s 4-3-3 system as he can play anywhere in a front three. His pace and trickery will add a new dimension to Arsenal’s attack and the early signs suggest he can create a deadly front three with Van Persie and Walcott this season, as they showed against Udinese in the 2nd leg of their Champions League qualifier.
8. Charles N’Zogbia (Wigan to Aston Villa £9m) – N’Zogbia has established himself as a top class Premier League winger and at just £9 million he could prove to be one of the shrewdest signings of the summer. Aston Villa lost two quality wingers this summer in Ashley Young and Stewart Downing, but they wasted no time in bringing in a replacement and N’Zogbia has the ability to replace both players and do great things at Villa Park. He has genuine pace and a beautiful left foot that and he has become versatile as he is now capable of playing on either flank or even off a striker.
7. Jose Enrique (Newcastle to Liverpool £6m) – There weren’t many left-backs in the Premier League last season who were performing more consistently than Enrique. The Spaniard has become a solid Premiership full-back and for just £6 million he will solve Liverpool’s long standing left-back problem. He is the bargain of the season in my opinion, he possesses real pace and strength and is excellent defensively and is also very good at getting forward. He will be a real hit with the fans at Anfield.
6. Charlie Adam (Blackpool to Liverpool £7m) – Another Liverpool signing, Charlie Adam has finally made the move to a big club and this is his opportunity to shine at the top level. He had a wonderful season at Blackpool last season in the Premier League, despite not being able to keep them up. Adam has a wonderful left-foot and a real eye for a pass. He can be the replacement for Xabi Alonso that Liverpool have been looking for, for a few years. He scored his first goal for the club in last weekend’s 3-1 win over Bolton and the early signs look good for the Scotland international.
5. Mikel Arteta (Everton to Arsenal £10m) – Arteta was a deadline day signing for Arsenal but he could become a real star for the gunners. It is very difficult to replace Cesc Fabregas at Arsenal, but Arteta will give something different to this team. He has a natural ability from set pieces, something Arsenal have been lacking for several years. Arteta is also a wonderful passer and scores goals from midfield and can shoot from outside the area, again something Arsenal have lacked in recent years. He may not be as good as Fabregas was, but Arteta has been a terrific midfielder for Everton for a number of years, he finally deserves his crack at the big time and he will only improve as a player because of it.
4. Juan Mata (Valencia to Chelsea £23.5m) – Mata is just the kind of player Chelsea needed. They were lacking flair and creativity and Mata brings just that. The left footed Spaniard was the main man at Valencia last season and he helped the team to a third place finish contributing 9 goals and 17 assists in the process. He has a unique eye for a pass and he could be the signing that re-ignites the career of Fernando Torres and starts to get him firing at Chelsea.
3. Samir Nasri (Arsenal to Manchester City £24m) – Samir Nasri had a wonderful season for Arsenal last season, undoubtedly his best for the gunners. He is a genuinely top class signing for Manchester City and the kind of signing that will give them a chance of winning the league and more this season. Nasri scored 12 goals for Arsenal from midfield and if Nasri can add that sort of goal tally for City this season alongside Tevez, Silva, Dzeko etc, he can become a real star for City and take them onto another level.
2. Ashley Young (Aston Villa to Manchester United £16m) – Young has started his career at Old Trafford like a house on fire. He has already scored 2 goals in his first 3 league matches and he looks even better than he did at Aston Villa. In his short time working with the United staff he looks to have become an even better player. He will only continue to grow and become better under Fergie and that is a real worry for Premier League defences. He is a terrific signing.
Sergio Aguero (Atletico Madrid to Manchester City £38m) – Possibly the best signing in the whole of Europe in this summer transfer window. Aguero is a world class striker and he is just the kind of player that will elevate Manchester City from being really good to being phenomenal. Aguero has wonderful ability and technique and he showed in his 30 minute debut against Swansea, exactly what he is capable of, scoring two goals off the bench.
Nicknamed ‘Kun’, the Argentinian will delight City fans this season and he could potentially become the player of the year this season if he helps Man City to a Premier League title.
Follow me on twitter: @TariqSaleh21