Do Not Sell My Personal Information
  1. Home
  2. Liverpool

Whatever happened to Liverpool’s Mike Marsh?

Kirkby born Mike Marsh first came to prominence in August 1987. At the time the 18 year old Marsh was playing amateur football with Kirkby Town and Liverpool’s reserve coach, Phil Thompson spotted something in the youngster that he liked a great deal. He advised Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish to sign the young midfielder/full back.

Marsh established himself in the reserve team at Liverpool during his first two years at the club and was showing excellent promise. In 1989, less than two years after he signed for the club, he made his debut at Anfield in a 2-0 win over Charlton.

Although playing sporadically over the next two years, Marsh really established himself as a regular in the Liverpool team, scoring six goals in 101 appearances. However he was allowed to leave to join West Ham in September 1993 as part of the deal which brought Julian Dicks to Anfield.  Marsh never settled at Upton Park and just fifteen months after signing with the club, Coventry City spent £450,000 to bring the player to Highfield Road in December 1994, but barely six months later, after 19 games and 2 goals, Marsh was on the move again, this time to Galatasaray, who were then managed by Graeme Souness. Marsh would only play three games during his ten week spell in Turkey before another ex-Liverpool star, Ronnie Whelan, paid the Turkish side £500,000 to bring Marsh back to England with Southend United.

Marsh enjoyed a good spell with Southend, even if the team’s fortunes sharply contrasted with his own. While Marsh excelled in midfield with the Shrimpers, the team struggled in Division One and in his second season with the club, Southend were relegated to Division Two. All in all Marsh played 97 games for Southend, scoring 13 goals.

Towards the end of his time with the club Marsh was struck with a knee injury. Surgery proved unsuccessful and in 1998, Marsh, aged just 29, was forced to concede that his professional days were over. However the midfielder still felt that he could play the game at semi-professional level and he went on to enjoy a highly successful five year spell in non-league football. Marsh started with Southport and Barrow, but made his first big impression with former Liverpool team mate Jan Molby at Kidderminster, playing a pivotal role in leading Kidderminster into the football league in 2000. Marsh however could not join his team mates in Division 3 the following season as part of his insurance settlement when he retired from the professional game was that he was not to play professionally again.

In 2001, Marsh moved back to Southport where he played 37 games, scoring 7 goals and a year later Boston United paid £15,000 to bring him south. Marsh had a big influence on Boston’s promotion push that year and Boston duly attained league status at the end of the 2002 season. However once again, Marsh was forced to move on as he could not play professionally and he joined Accrington Stanley in the Northern Premier League. Once again Marsh had a big influence, leading his team to the promotion to the Conference in his final season as a player.

After his retirement Marsh had a succession of coaching and managerial posts in non league football but has since become the head academy coach of Accrington and Rossendale College in the British Colleges Elite league and he also works as a coach with Preston North End with their under 13 team. Marsh is also a regular player for the Liverpool FC masters team.

To Top