Wigan were resoundingly beaten 4-0 by a clinical Manchester Utd last time out. Although there can be little doubt about who was the better side on the day, there was plenty for Roberto Martinez’s side to take away from the match as they initially stifled Utd in the opening phases and actually spurned several chances themselves with Ivan Ramis and Arouna Kone coming close in the first half
– Gary Caldwell is the highest ranked defender on the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index for fouls this season with 8. Only Manchester Utd’s Michael Carrick covered more ground than James McArthur last weekend who ran for a solid 6.24 miles for Roberto Martinez’s side.
– Despite conceding four goals against Man Utd, defensively speaking, Wigan have been relatively impressive at the back this season according to the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index. They have two players in the top five for tackle’s won, with James McCarthy and Ivan Ramis recording 13 successful challenges each.
-Although he and his defensive colleagues were unable to stop the goals flying in against Man Utd, Maynor Figueroa still managed to be the paciest player on the pitch after he was clocked at 20.67mph.
– Ramis has been consistently achieving good things at the back for Wigan this season. His 87% tackle success rate from 15 challenges and 26 interceptions mark him out amongst the Wigan back four.
– Dimitar Berbatov’s home debut will be etched in the memory of many Fulham supporters as two fine goals from the Bulgarian front man ensured victory for Martin Jol’s side. Steve Sidwell wrapped up a comprehensive 3-0 win over West Brom with a late goal, with Alex Kacaniklic also impressing down the flank.
– Kacaniklic certainly put in the yards against West Brom after he ran for 5.7 miles, with only Steve Sidwell ahead of him in the distance stakes for Fulham.
– At 33 years of age, midfielder Damien Duff continues to be a key part of the Fulham midfield. He’s successfully completed 104 passes the opponent’s half this season, more than any other member of the Fulham squad.
– Martin Jol will have been pleased with the performance of Sascha Riether last weekend. The German’s 9 crosses was more than any other Premier League player in the last round.
– Mahamadou Diarra has become a central part of Fulham’s midfield following his arrival from Monaco. He’s received the ball 259 times this season, more than any other Fulham player.
Click here to comment on this articleor
Give us feedback on your Football Transfer Tavern experience