Glasgow Rangers have been dealt a blow in their pursuit of Stade Brestois midfielder Haris Belkebla after the French club’s sporting director Gregory Lorenzi said that the Ligue 1 outfit have no plans of selling the 26-year-old.
The ‘Gers had been linked with a move for the Algeria international, who is currently valued by Transfermarkt at £1.08m. The midfielder made 23 appearances in Ligue 1 for the Breton outfit during the previous campaign, which has obviously caught the eye of Ross Wilson and the Ibrox hierarchy.
L’Equipe has relayed some of Lorenzi’s quotes from Monday, which was Brest’s first day back at training ahead of the new season. He said:
“There’s no opening regarding the potential exit of the player. We’re more in the idea of recruiting.”
This is a blow for the Light Blues’ hopes of signing Belkebla this summer. It does not necessarily mean that there is absolutely no chance of the player moving on – this would not be the first time we have heard such comments in regards to a player garnering interest – but at the very least it shows that Brest do not want to let him go easily or, perhaps more importantly, for a low fee.
Would you like to sign Belkebla?
It remains to be seen whether Steven Gerrard and Wilson make a more concrete move for the player but this may nip any potential move in the bud before negotiations can even begin.
‘Gers fans, would you be disappointed if a proposed move for Belkebla came to nothing? Let us know what you think in the comments below!
Click here to comment on this articleor
Give us feedback on your Football Transfer Tavern experience