The Lowdown: Championship interest
The 25-year-old first made the step up to the Premier League when he joined the Saints from Blackburn Rovers last summer, but has failed to make the impact many hoped for, scoring just two goals in 28 appearances in all competitions during his debut season at St. Mary’s.
Even though the striker still has three years remaining on his contract on the south coast, The Sun have reported that Championship clubs Watford and Middlesbrough are both weighing up the possibility of a loan move.
It’s stated within the article that the forward is reluctant to drop down to a lower league, creating a roadblock for the two potential suitors, and it sounds like Hasenhuttl won’t let him go easily either.
The Latest: Crook breaks inside update
Speaking to GiveMeSport, Crook provided an update on Southampton’s transfer stance regarding the future of Armstrong. He said:
“Adam Armstrong, I’ve been told, would only be allowed to go if they get another striker in.
“At the moment, there’s no real interest in moving him on.”
The Verdict: Keep hold of him
With Armando Broja having returned to Chelsea following the conclusion of his loan spell, not to mention the fact that Shane Long’s contract expired earlier on Friday, Che Adams and Dan N’Lundulu are now the only other senior strikers on the books, so Southampton can’t afford to let Armstrong go.
Despite not having a successful first campaign in red and white stripes, the £13.5m-rated gem has got an outstanding track record in front of goal, having netted 28 times in just 40 outings for Rovers in 2020/21, via Transfermarkt.
Should Southampton allow Armstrong to leave?
If he can get a good pre-season under his belt, there’s always a chance that he will be able to replicate that form for the Saints next term as Hasenhuttl looks to guide his team back towards a top-ten finish.
Click here to comment on this articleor
Give us feedback on your Football Transfer Tavern experience