After a slow, but assertive start to the season, the Gunners scored their first goals of the campaign and three points along them, after a 2-0 victory over Liverpool at Anfield. Two of the summer signings were highly impressive with Podolski and Cazorla both getting on the score sheet.
Lukas Podolski joined from FC Koln earlier this summer and could prove to be an absolute bargain at £11 million. The German international has vast experience and showed what exactly he is capable of today against Liverpool. His work-rate was excellent, doing his fair share of tracking back. He made intelligent runs throughout the game and showed his finishing skills with a fine finish past Reina.
Santi Cazorla also had an excellent game. The versatile midfielder played as part of a midfield three and was consistently a threat. His excellent vision and passing ability were clear for all to see today and once again his price tag seems more than justified. Wenger looks as if he has grabbed himself another bargain.
Olivier Giroud is still finding his feet at the club. Whilst he made some excellent runs and challenged well aerially, he still has not settled and Arsenal fans are yet to see the best of him. Though not blessed with pace, he gets in to the right positions but his finishing has not been up to scratch….yet. With more minutes under his belt, I am sure that the goals will follow.
The player ratings:
- Vito Mannone
– The young Italian has had to step in and kept another clean sheet. He was solid when required and was never really troubled today. 6
- Kieran Gibbs
– The left-back was strong again today, making some excellent runs and taking Arsenal forwards. 6
- Thomas Vermaelen
– The captain had another fine display today and was solid as ever. 7
- Per Mertesacker
– The giant German was not a his best today, a few rash challanges added to a disappointing performance. 5
- Carl Jenkinson
– Though he had a much improved second half, Jenkinson did not have the best of games, often misplacing his passes in the first half. 5
- Mikael Arteta
– The midfielder was ever-reliable, breaking up play and setting up attacks. 6
- Santi Cazorla
– A fantastic performance from the new man, his excellent range of passing were key today. 7
- Abou Diaby
– If Diaby can stay fit this season, he will have a huge part to play. Strong, commanding and excellent with the ball at his feet, the tall Frenchman had the Liverpool players tied in knots at times and was majestic. 8
- Lukas Podolski
– The German international worked tirelessly today and showed the Arsenal fans what he is about, scoring an excellent goal. 7
- Alex Oxlade
-Chamberlain – The young Englishman had another fine display and seems to be going from strength to strength. 7
- Olivier Giroud
– Used his strength well and made some excellent runs. However, he did waste another opportunity today. 6Like what the TT have on offer? Sign up for more notifications!