So you’ll have had your Christmas dinner, opened your present, worn the ghastly Manchester United cardigan / sock set bought for you by a mad Aunty from ebay, worn the Liverpool tie down the pub with the flashing nose Rudolph and Rafa Benitez disguised as Santa and had enough After Eight mints to last you a lifetime and the good news is, you can settle down on Boxing day for a corking day of fantasy football action and to save you time while you munch down on your Turkey and set light to your Xmas pud, here’s this weeks list of Our five fantasy picks of who is hot this weekend…
1. Branislav Ivanovic (Chelsea – Defender) : Chelsea’s defence is mean and while Terry and Cole offer great points value, they tend to be expensive. Instead look at Ivanovic who seems to have fended off Bosingwa for the first choice right full back slot for Carlo Ancelotti.
2. Andrei Arshavin (Arsenal – Midfielder) : It is hard to discount the Russian given his excellent recent form and the fact that Arsenal are now far more reliant on his goalscoring ability. He looks a shoe in over the next few weeks as he takes on the mantle of Arsenal’s main striker.
3. James Milner (Aston Villa – Midfielder) : If you like to pick players who are bang in form then Aston Villa’s England international is one to consider. In rich form since being moved from a wide midfield role to a more central role and he has started to trouble the scoresheet more often too.
4. Jermaine Defoe (Tottenham – Attacker) : If you haven’t jumped on the Defoe bandwagon after his five goal haul against Wigan, then now might be the time, with a relatively tame series of fixtures coming up, including two London derbies, Defoe could well add to his tally of goals over the Christmas period.
5. Ivan Klasnic (Bolton W – Attacker) – His improved form for the Wanderers over the past few week have seen him catch the eye. A proven goalscorer and he now seems to be finding the net with regularity for Bolton. A good low cost option if you do not have much cash available.
1. Joleon Lescott (Defender – Manchester City) – It isn’t just that the £20m man hasn’t been playing well. He had an operation on the 16th December and will be out for six to eight weeks. Well worth swapping him long term for another defender as his future is said to be “uncertain” under Mancini
2. Cesc Fabregas (Midfielder – Arsenal) – Cesc hoped he would be back for the Aston Vila clash and he could make it, however he is unlikely to be as fit as he would like and unless he is 100%, it seems unlikely Wenger will risk him, even in a key game.
3. Javier Mascherano (Midfielder – Liverpool) – The Argentinian midfielder will be out for around four weeks with a ligament injury, which is decent timing because he is suspended for four games following his second red card of the season at Portsmouth last weekend.
4. Michael Carrick (Manchester United – Midfielder) : Carrick is a midfielder but he is likely to be playing central defence for the next few weeks at least. Fergie doesn’t have many options and Carrick’s scoring potential is severely diminished by him playing out of position.
5. Nicolas Anelka (Chelsea – Attacker) : It’s worth replacing Anelka for the next two games as he has been ruled out for the Christmas period with an ankle injury. Once he recovers however, with Drogba gone for the African Cup of Nations, he could be a key man in January.
Have a great Christmas and best of luck with your fantasy selections this week!
Click here to comment on this articleor
Give us feedback on your Football Transfer Tavern experience