Liverpool may make Naby Keita available for transfer this summer, according to Sunday World journalist Kevin Palmer.
Keita started the first leg of the Reds’ Champions League quarterfinal clash with Real Madrid, but he was substituted off before half-time as his side fell two goals behind.
The Guinean hasn’t played a single minute since, and now his future is in doubt.
Palmer reports that a sale may be sanctioned to boost Jurgen Klopp’s transfer funds – Keita joined for an initial £48million ahead of the 2018/19 season.
He could follow Georginio Wijnaldum out the exit door, with the report noting that the out-of-contract Dutchman is nearing an agreement with FC Barcelona.
Liverpool in £35million Bissouma talks
One of the ‘interesting transfer noises coming out of Liverpool‘, according to Palmer, is that Brighton’s Yves Bissouma has been identified as a ‘top target’ to replace the outgoing pair.
Talks over a £35million deal for the 24-year-old are said to be underway.
Reds legend Jamie Carragher said after Brighton’s goalless draw with Everton last month that Bissouma was ‘head and shoulders above everyone on the pitch’, claiming that the Mali international ‘really does look like a top quality player’.
Transfer Tavern verdict
For the most part, Keita’s performances have been reasonably good when fit.
But it’s hard to escape the sense that the early substitution against Real was the final damning indictment of his Liverpool career.
Curtis Jones will probably take on a greater role if Keita does leave, with the impressive Bissouma a direct replacement for Wijnaldum.
In other news, fans have called for this defender to be retained.
Click here to comment on this articleor
Give us feedback on your Football Transfer Tavern experience