In his pre-match press conference ahead of tonight’s Europa League play-off first leg against AIK, Celtic manager Neil Lennon told reporters that the Scottish champions are hoping to make multiple additions to the squad before the transfer window closes on September 2nd.
Celtic’s official Twitter channel @CelticFC tweeted quotes from Lennon saying that the Hoops are aiming to bring in up to four players in the remaining 11 days of the transfer window.
— Celtic Football Club (@CelticFC) August 21, 2019
Celtic have signed five players so far this summer, spending a cumulative £11.83m on Christopher Jullien, Boli Bolingoli and Hatem Abd Elhamed [according to TransferMarkt.co.uk] and bringing in Irish teenagers Luca Connell and Jonathan Afolabi on free transfers.
Fraser Forster could become the Hoops’ sixth addition of the current transfer window, with The Sun reporting that the goalkeeper is having a medical today ahead of a proposed move from Southampton.
However, the depth of Lennon’s current squad could be tested tonight, with several injury concerns ahead of the meeting with AIK at Celtic Park.
According to the Daily Express, Scott Bain is definitely out while Abd Elhamed is doubtful, Tom Rogic is not yet match fit and Kristoffer Ajer is not a certain starter after his shoulder injury against Dunfermline last week.
These Celtic fans on Twitter were cynical in their reactions to Lennon’s transfer window comments:
Shambles. Better get this dusted down. pic.twitter.com/khLo9TugS9
— Martin (@martink14) August 21, 2019
Bit late now CL Is gone. Dont bother
— hoops (@steelyhoops) August 21, 2019
I think we all know you aren’t working to bring players in. You stated we would have a left back in after Tierney left.. still waiting. More you say more lies you peddle for Lawwell.
— DC (@DeclanCarroll94) August 21, 2019
Said all this 6 weeks back we’re not all daft
— CeltiCRa8 (@CeltiCRab19671) August 21, 2019
If we bring in 4 fist team players by transfer deadline £500 to a charity of your choice.
— Davie Adam (@DavieAdam1969) August 21, 2019
Utterly embarrassing yet again from Celtic. You've had since February to identify and buy players, what's the excuse this time?
Pathetic…ST holder and share holder, don't bother with the dividend payment this year. Cobble it together and buy someone!
— Mick (@mickde1967) August 21, 2019
Said weeks ago there were contingency plans for if Tierney left. Everyone and their granny knew he’d be going. Where are these plans? Don’t say bolongoli was the first team left back replacement?
— meganwandrum (@megz0wandrum) August 21, 2019
Like what the TT have on offer? Sign up for more notifications!
Aye I've heard that one before. An absolute shambles of a window, no forward planning whatsoever. Hopefully If we do get new recruits In, It's not too late regarding the league.
— A Cybernat inspite of them. (@JohnCoy29071630) August 21, 2019