Speaking to the press, West Ham United manager David Moyes has shared some very interesting transfer news involving Liverpool forward Luis Diaz.
The Lowdown: West Ham fail in summer bids…
According to reliable sources, the Hammers failed in multiple bids to sign attacking talents in last-minute January moves.
Along with Benfica’s Darwin Nunez, West Ham tried to sign Atalanta striker Duvan Zapata last month, with Moyes also refusing to give up on playmaker Jesse Lingard (Sky Sports).
It appears that the Irons, by admission of their manager, weren’t exactly done there, as Moyes lifts the lid on another last-gasp attempt to sign a forward in January.
The Latest: Moyes makes Diaz admission…
According to West Ham’s manager, the east Londoners were actually ‘very far’ down the line in their bid to sign the Colombian star before Liverpool swooped in.
Moyes said on Friday (via Daily Mail): “We were quite far down the line to sign him from Porto. My understanding is Liverpool were going to come in for him in the summer, and I was going to try to get him in January.
The Verdict: Very interesting…
Reports at the time detailed that Liverpool hijacked Tottenham’s deal to sign the player, but as this news emerges, it appears that they also ruined West Ham’s hopes of signing the 25-year-old.
Before his Premier League move, he had notched 14 goals and five assists over 18 Portuguese top-flight appearances for FC Porto this season.
Indeed, Diaz may well have been a truly brilliant capture for the Irons.
In other news: Top club insider says West Ham could now back Moyes in signing ‘world class’ £50m man, find out more here.
Click here to comment on this articleor
Give us feedback on your Football Transfer Tavern experience