Newcastle United striker Callum Wilson may not be ready to return from injury until ‘the last two or three games in the season’.
That’s according to Sky Sports reporter Keith Downie, who was speaking to GiveMeSport.
Wilson hasn’t played for Newcastle in 2022, having suffered a calf injury in the 1-1 draw with Manchester United on 27 December.
The Telegraph’s Luke Edwards had reported in March that Wilson had an ‘outside chance’ of returning against Wolves. He said a comeback against Crystal Palace on April 20 or Norwich City on April 23 looked far more ‘likely’.
However, it now appears that the timeline has been extended further.
Downie has heard from his sources that Wilson won’t be ready until the May 8 trip to Manchester City at the earliest.
But he wouldn’t rule out the striker being kept back until next season.
“I think the best case scenario, from what I’m hearing, is he will maybe be involved in the last two or three games in the season, but by then they might be safe, so is there any need to do that?” he said.
“Are you better off just getting him into good shape for the start of next season?”
Would you hold Wilson back until next season?
Downie identifies an important consideration here. Journalist Pete O’Rourke has previously said that Eddie Howe will be eagerly awaiting the ‘welcome’ boost of Wilson’s return, but do they need to play the long game?
In theory, the more recovery time Wilson is afforded, the lower the risk of re-injury. Any setback could affect the no. 9’s preparations for the 2022/23 campaign.
This is a player whose lengthy injury record demands that he be managed with particular care.
And Newcastle may also have to consider bringing in a new no. 9 who can deputise more effectively than Chris Wood in the event of future problems.
Wood has only scored one non-penalty goal in his 12 appearances since he joined from Burnley.
In other news, read this transfer insider’s latest PIF claim.
Click here to comment on this articleor
Give us feedback on your Football Transfer Tavern experience