Liverpool’s UEFA Youth League line-up may have given clues as to who’ll be involved against FC Porto, The Athletic’s Simon Hughes writes.
Liverpool are due to the face the Primeira Liga side on Wednesday night knowing that they’ve already secured progression to the Round of 16 as group winners.
That could give Jurgen Klopp the chance to rotate his side prior to the weekend’s Premier League clash with Southampton.
Klopp said in his pre-match press conference he would think about ‘ourselves, our schedule and the situation of our players’ when choosing his side.
Hughes points out that Marc Bridge-Wilkinson selected Kaide Gordon, Owen Beck and Connor Bradley for the Under-19s’ corresponding clash with Porto earlier in the day.
“I can’t see them playing tonight,” he says.
However, ‘interestingly’, Tyler Morton and James Balagizi are ‘not involved’ against the Portuguese side.
In theory, then, they should be available for the senior clash at Anfield.
It wouldn’t be a surprise to see Morton feature from the start in what is effectively a dead-rubber fixture.
The midfielder has played in both of Liverpool’s EFL Cup ties and made his Premier League debut last weekend with a brief run-out in the 4-0 victory over Arsenal (via Transfermarkt).
In his programme notes for Wednesday’s game, Klopp described the 19-year-old as ‘very special’.
Perhaps the signs are pointing towards a full Champions League debut.
In other news, fans react to the club’s January transfer decision.
Click here to comment on this articleor
Give us feedback on your Football Transfer Tavern experience