Steven Gerrard may struggle to persuade the Rangers board not to cash in if January offers arrive for ‘key men’, The Daily Record‘s Keith Jackson has said.
Rangers announced a £23.5m loss for 2020/21 on Friday, taking their total losses under the current board to £73.8m across six years (via The Athletic).
Last summer, the Gers made just £788,000 through player sales, with centre-back George Edmondson the only player to depart in exchange for a transfer fee.
Joe Aribo, who has started every Premiership and Europa League game for Rangers so far this season, is among the players being linked with a move away ahead of 2022. According to Football Insider, Crystal Palace are monitoring the midfielder, who is valued at more than £10m.
Writing in The Daily Record‘s Monday Jury, Jackson recalled that Gerrard had previously ‘resisted all attempts’ to raise funds through the sales of his ‘key men’ at Ibrox.
However, the journalist added that if the ‘latest numbers’ are anything to go by, the Rangers boss ‘may have a job on his hands’ to successfully resist player sales in the event of a fresh ‘lucrative bid’.
Jackson’s colleague Craig Swan added that Rangers are ‘surely not in a position to spend and it’s time to sell’.
The Rangers board need to tread carefully. There may be financial needs to address, but they must be wary of pushing Gerrard away amid the reported interest of Premier League clubs such as Aston Villa.
That attention is said to present a ‘major dilemma’ for the manager, but it could become an easier decision for him if he faces the possibility of losing his best players at Ibrox.
Indeed, Gerrard has already voiced frustration about the lack of funds made available to him, and the latest eight-figure loss from the club could hinder him further still.
Click here to comment on this articleor
Give us feedback on your Football Transfer Tavern experience